Home
About
School History

School History

St Mary's School Photo

Margaret Aylward founded St. Mary’s, Glasnevin, in 1873. The present Secondary School was opened in 1941 under the direction of the Holy Faith Sisters.

The central philosophy of St. Mary’s follows the central philosophy of the Holy Faith Congregation and in so doing; it also follows the directives of the 1998 Education Act in the following way – “St. Mary’s seeks to create a school community whose central purpose is the religious, moral, intellectual, human, social and physical-recreational education of the student.” (Extract from St. Mary’s Mission Statement)

crossThe long-term objective of St. Mary’s, therefore, includes the formation of young women who will be capable of living in and contributing to the community to which they belong.

“The education programme of the school is directed to the growth of the whole person.” (Extract from St. Mary’s Mission Statement)
It acknowledges the personal development of each individual in the School Community through acknowledging academic and non-academic programmes in the school. Students in St. Mary’s are helped to integrate into their lives a deep Christian Faith and therefore, the formation in St. Mary’s is of the Catholic tradition.

St. Mary’s follows a pastoral approach which is embedded in the daily life of the school and is characterised by fostering good relationships between Staff, Parents and Students.

“It aims to form integrated and self-reliant Christian people who are eager to build a better world”. (Extract from St. Mary’s Mission Statement)

The Pupils of St. Mary’s have inherited a rich tradition in education. The long-term objective of St. Mary’s, therefore, includes the formation of young women who will be capable of living in and contributing to the community to which they belong.